Chronic Low Back Pain after a Fall

Patient

Q: I have been suffering from chronic lumber-sacral pain after falling from a height about five years back. X-rays and MRI revealed a normal study without any complication but the pain persisted with nagging lethargy up till now. Strong analgesics seem to have no effect. So what do i do now ?

Doctor

A:   In the view that you were checked out at the hospital and everything was normal, the most likely diagnosis would be: Mechanical low back pain (LBP) which is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States.
The conservative treatment of the mechanical lower back pain is basically relative rest, avoiding all the activities that produce pain or discomfort, such as weight lifting. Also very important is to keep a good posture at all times and sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort. Some doctors recommend lying on your back with a pillow under your knees.   Control of the pain and inflammation with Ice, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), Physical Therapy and anti-inflammatory drugs (“Aleve”). Try to keep a consistent exercise routine with stretching and extension-flexion which may reduce tension and stress to the spinal joints. After your visit to the hospital for back pain, it is recommended that you follow your doctor's instructions as carefully as possible. This includes taking the medications and performing activities as directed.