Chronic pain after ankle fracture


Q: I broke my ankle in 2005 from tripping over my door step. since then i have had continues pain and can no longer walk without it causing a lot of problems.
i have been seen by orthopaedics for the last few years and they dont know what it is causing the pain. i have had x rays and MRI scans whcih reveal nothing.
i was wondering wether ankle replacement or fusion might be an option. i have read about ankle replacements for over 60's but not for anyone my age, could it be an option or would fusion be possible.


A:   Ankle replacement is not indicated in your case. It is usually done in elderly persons who have severe arthritis. Ankle fusion also has specific indications which it does not appear that you have these indications since your x-rays and MRIs are all negative! You should ask your doctor about a bone scan which can sometimes give more information than a MRI or simple x-ray.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi i m 25 years old n me n my husband had unprotected sex on the last day of my menstrual cycle ie on 25th Jan n I ha...

Q: Hi i have a slightly low thyroid and iam on medication. i recently wanted to take a amino acid blend, which includes ...

Q: Hi, i live in guyana , about two year ago i found out i have hrdorcephalus and at that time i was 20 years old, howev...

Q: Hi. This is more of a psychologist question that I would like help with. I have this friend that I'm really obsesse...

Q: I am taking Neurorubine - Forte and have experienced lack of eye focus and trembling in the arms ... is this a side a...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon