Chronic shoulder pain.

Patient

Q: Amazing if this really works....

Two years ago I was doing pullups when I felt something weird happen in my right shoulder. It didn't hurt exactly, just felt odd, and like I should stop working out. So I did. After that, doing more than just a couple pushups hurt my right shoulder, which would also pop with every pushup. Over time by changing pushup position I seem to have strengthened my shoulder so it doesn't hurt so much but it has always felt odd, like something is suddenly missing. I've been surfing for the last week and a half and the paddling motion (like freestyle swimming but with no legs and you sort of have to reach out to get around the board instead of fully forward) has really, really taken a toll on my shoulder. I've always just done a little here and there and when it started to hurt real bad just stopped but this trip I just pushed myself well beyond where it started to hurt (I'm not sure why....just having fun and in denial I guess). Anyway, my right shoulder is in a lot of pain now. If I lift it at all (such that the weight of my arm is held by the shoulder) it hurts a little. Raising, as if in grade school, hurts a lot. I should have gone to a doc about this ages ago but it was going to be more expensive than I could afford, I hoped it would just get better, etc. Anyway, I'd just really like to get an idea of what is, or could be, going on. Seems like I'm going to have to do something more than just strength training and stretches. Something is jacked up in there. Any ideas?

Symptoms:  Inner shoulder pain, chronic, especially when exerted (through pushup motion or pulling motion).
Doctor

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

You seem to be suffering from Shoulder muscle or ligament tear.
I would advise you to get an MRI shoulder to rule out that.

For pain, I advise following:
1. A combination of pain killer like Diclofenac only on as or when required basis.
2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.
3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.
4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.
Definitive treatment would be arthroscopic repair of the joint if the ligament tear is found.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.