Ciprofolaxin and constipation

Patient

Q: I recently thought I had a uti and I had some extra ciprofolaxcin from a previous uti. I've taken the medicine for about three days and now my stomach and back feel hard could it just be constipation as a side effect?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your symptoms could have been caused by taking your left over ciprofloxacin. If this medication was expired when you took it, it could have caused gastrointestinal irritation, which is causing your constipation. Furthermore, it may not have been the correct dosage and course to treat this particular UTI and as a result, your UTI may not have been cleared. It is not advisable under any circumstance to take left over antibiotics. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to be examined and have a urine test performed to determine if your infection has been cleared.

AskTheDoctor.com wishes you a rapid recovery.