Circumcision

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor, My foreskin had stretch mark on it, and even though I am 17 years old now, I still have problem completely retracting it, and the stretchmarks also cause alot of pain when I do. I had been thinking of circumcision, but I was wondering if you would recommend it or against it. How long the operation would last and is it painful. Are there any risk at all? Benefits? Thank You

Doctor

A:   Circumcision is a relative safe ans imple procedure which removes the foreskin of the penis. As with every surgical procedure, there are associated risks. The risks are related to the type of anesthesia used as well as the surgical procedure itself. Complications are not at all common but include injury to penis, possible infection after surgery and significant scarring. Circumcision is recommened for persons with "tight" foreskin. This makes the foreskin difficult to retract and may pose hygiene issues.