Citalopram, Pregnancy and Vaginal Thrush Infection

Patient

Q: Good Morning, I have been taking Citalopram for the past 18 months as I suffered a few panic attacks. About 4 weeks ago I decided to wean myself off them (with the doctors advice). I began by taking one every other day but I noticied I was feeling really sick and tired all the time. After 2 weeks my doctor then advised to stop taking them completely. The sickness eased off but I still feel quite tired at times. I have also just had my period which was really light but normally they are quite heavy. Since waking up today I have noticed I have thrush. Could these symptoms be from stopping Citalopram or do you think I need to do a pregnany test?

Doctor

A:   It is unlikely that Citalopram and pregnancy would have caused you to have thrush. Yeast infections are very common in women, and they generally result from an imbalance between the types of bacteria and yeast that live in the vagina. For example, excessive cleaning of the vagina (with soap and water) or with douching products will definitely kill off the normal vaginal bacteria allowing the yeast to multiply and take over. Therefore, you should avoid this at all costs. Change underwear daily is helpful, but it is also helpful to think about the type of underwear you use. They should be light, absorbent cotton underwear, as other types may predispose to infections. Sometimes, yeast infections can be caused by sexual intercourse. This is because your partner may have yeast on their skin and may pass them to you during sex. If this is your first yeast infection, then I would not worry about this very much. Simply take the antifungal medications and it should clear up. If you have missed your periods, consider doing a home pregnancy test.