Clear Discharge

Patient : I might be pregnant and i don't find out till next week. But I'm having Clear Discharge it doesn't smell. I was wondering if it was normal to have clear discharge if i am pregnant (i would only be 3 weeks)
Symptoms:  Clear discharge
Doctor :   Hi, your symptom is quite common and could be an early sign or symptom of pregnancy. Since you say that discharge is cle ar and does not smell there is no need to panic. Vaginal discharge is partly because of increased estrogen production and greater blood flow to the vaginal area. This discharge is made up of secretions from the cervix and vagina, old cells from the walls of the vagina and normal bacterial flora from the vagina. These secretions actually increase to create a mucus plug which acts like a protection to the womb. During ovulation also there is an increase of mucus secretion from the vagina, this is thick and sticky and acts as a natural filter for the semen deposited during intercourse. It helps easy movement for the spermatozoa and also acts a protective barrier, to give gliding effect to the spermatozoa to reach the uterus and there on to the tubes. However if the vaginal discharge is foul smelling, itchy, causes burning or it is of a color other than clear then the gynecologist should be consulted. As in that case it could be due to an infection of either yeast, bacteria or viral origin (sexually transmitted disease) which often require medical aid and must be treated. The pregnancy symptoms vary from person to person. The best thing would be to do a home pregnancy test seven days past your menstrual cycle date or if too anxious to wait can get a blood test done for βhCG to know if there is a pregnancy. This can be done early on, i.e., 2-3 days plus or minus around the time of expected menstrual cycle (~ 24th – 26th day of menstrual cycle).