Clostridium Difficile in Pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hi, I am a 27 year old female. I have 2 children (3 months and 19 months old) I am just recovering from a C Difficile infection (I hope after 3 rounds of medication) This was due to a hospital infection, followed by numerous antibiotics. My question is: Can I still have more children? What are the risks of getting C Difficile again in pregnancy? What if I need antibiotics during pregnancy? What do you recommend in terms of Probiotics? Please help as I really really want to have more children but CAN NOT get this infection back, as it has been a nightmare and so difficult to treat already! Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Clostridium difficile bacteria normally live in the gastro-intestinal tract. Antibiotic medications destroy all normal flora that live in the gut and as a result clostridium difficile multiply and overpopulate the colon, thus producing symptoms of diarrhea and infection. I don’t believe that this infection has any affect on your fertility or ability to conceive in the future. Unfortunately recurrence has been reported in between 15 to 30% of cases, but once you have been eradicated there is nothing to suggest that you will develop this infection in future pregnancies. Vancomycin can be given in pregnancy if the benefit outweighs the risk to the developing foetus.