Clysis Monitoring

Q: Hi, I'm an engineering student and we, along with my group mates, are about to design a device named wireless clysis monitoring device. It will monitor the percentage of clysis via an end device or computer in the nurse station.

My concern is, is it really necessary to monitor clysis percentage? because according to a doctor from department of urology, it is essential.

I would like to ask what are the possible situations that could happen if clysis monitoring failed? For example, the clysis was not replaced with new one the moment it should be.

Thank you.

A:   Thank you for your question. It is very important to monitor the reintroduction of fluids and electrolytes in a patient. This allows for the medical team to carefully monitor the fluid status of the patient as well as make sure that their electrolytes are being optimally maintained while they are convalescing within the hospital. In a patient who is in congestive heart failure for example, if their fluid intake and output is not monitored, they can experience a build up of fluid within the lungs, which is life threatening.

Thank you for consulting