Coconut allergy reaction

Patient

Q: I think i might be allergic to coconut, is this something to worry about? or is it like being lactose intolerant?

Symptoms:  Itching, tingling, upset stomach, redness
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask the Doctor" for posting your query.

Although coconut allergy is not very common, affected people can suffer from severe reactions. People with nut allergies or latex allergies are more likely to be allergic to coconut. Lactose intolerance manifests commonly on consumption of milk. You can undergo food allergy testing for proper diagnosis of the disease.
However, you can avoid consuming coconut if you are sure about the cause. Also avoid using coconut oil for cooking.
In acute reactions medicines like fexofenadine or diphenhydramine can be taken after consulting your doctor.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!