Cod liver oil (fish oil) and Pregnancy

Patient

Q: Is it good to take cod lever oil during pregancy ? if yes than ,it is taken than which benifits i get from it ? it will not harm my child ?

Doctor

A:   Fish oil, made from the tissue of oily fish-such as salmon, cod, tuna, mackerel, herring, lake trout and sardines-has many health benefits.
The fish oil pills contain Omega 3 which is an essential fatty acid (EFA), “essential” because the body cannot synthesize them on its own. They must be provided through food and/or food supplements. EFA’s are a key element in cell production and renewal, seem to support good mood , improve blood circulation and they are essential to every living cell. These EFA are naturally found in fish and available in pill form as a supplement. There are two Omega 3 fatty acids: eicosapentaenoic or EPA, and Decosahexaenoic acidor DHA; they seem to work in synergy making supplements that contain both, the most beneficial. We need to consume more omega-3 from fish oil, and avoid the omega 6 from hydrogenated oils.
The health benefits of fish oil include its ability to aid in treatment of heart diseases, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, low immunity, eye disorders, macular degeneration and ulcers. It may help in weight loss, pregnancy, fertility and skin care. Women who take cod-liver oil during pregnancy and the first three months of breast-feeding are likely to have more intelligent children, according to various research studies published in Pediatrics journals. The dietary intake of a specific fatty acid present in fish oils (docosahexaenoic acid [DHA]) is needed to promote optimal brain development. Omega-3´s can be naturally obtained in fish and sea vegetables, however it´s getting more difficult to trust our food sources, we´re concerned about mercury and some weeks we just don´t eat enough fish. Omega 3 fatty acids must be acquired from good quality sources on a regular, consistent basis in order to be utilized for optimal health. It´s nearly impossible to provide our bodies with a safe, sufficient source of this nutrient through diet alone, so researchers and doctors recommend taking a pure, safe, pharmaceutical grade Omega 3 Fish Oil supplement daily.
Possible side effects to consuming these supplements that one should be aware of: generally, doses of 3 mg or fewer of fish oil supplements per day produce little to no side effects. However, fish oil does have a slight blood thinning effect-an effect that helps to explain why it is so beneficial for heart health, and an effect that is not necessarily bad in and of itself. This blood thinning effect can increase the risks of bleeding, easy bruising and nose bleeds though. This is especially important to consider if you are taking other blood thinning herbs or medication, because concurrent use of blood thinning medications or herbs may increase the risks of bleeding. The FDA does not have a specific recommended dosage for fish oil. However, the FDA does recommend that an average healthy person (above the age of 5) should not take more than 3,000 mg of fish oil per day.