Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Cold and Flu Scare

Cold and Flu Scare

Patient: Ok I’m not sure whats wrong with me, I’ve had a cold for about a week now, and I’m still sick. I have a sore throat that feels swollen and a swollen neck, as well as an earache and headache It hurts to eat anything but soup, and I’ve constantly got a weird slime coating my mouth. What is wrong with me.

Doctor: Most sore throat are caused by viral infection which run its course and no treatment is required. In certain cases there viral infection may make one susceptible for a bacterial infection, which may be in your case. Your symptoms of neck swelling and post nasal drip (slime coated mouth) may be due to a bacterial infection. I would suggest that you see your doctor for a throat swab to rule out streptococcal throat infection and appropriate antibiotics. I wish yo well, take care.