Cold and Smoking questions

Patient: Hi I have had a cold for the past week or so, but i’ve also been a smoker for close to 2 years now (20 a day for the first year, at about 30/day now) and would just like to ask a few questions.1. I have vomited while i was coughing earlier today, just wondering if i should look into that more?2. sometimes get a very short and slightly sharp chest pain near my heart area.3. Haven’t noticed this as much lately, but sometimes when i work (warehouse) i get a sort of burning feeling in my chest/lung area? Hard to explain the sensation but thats the best i can do really.4. Have been very wheezy lately, and whenever i cough i can hear the phlegm. wondering if thats because of the cold or smoking (probably had to tell considering i have both right now)5. I go to the gym very regularly, and seem to lose my breath a lot faster than i would 2 years ago.6. Occassionally get them dark particles in my spit/phlegm. Haven’t seen much recently though.Thank you.

Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing, chest pains, wheeziness,

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.Read and understood your history and related questions, which I wo uld like to answer as you have asked for:1. I have vomited while i was coughing earlier today, just wondering if i should look into that more?> Violent cough can cause enough pressure on the abdomen to induce vomiting; if there is associated acidity the process can be hastened.2. sometimes get a very short and slightly sharp chest pain near my heart area.> If there is a local tenderness at a given spot, this can be due to costochondritis. Here comes the importance of clinical evaluation and examination by a Doctor to have a confirmed diagnosis and ask for further tests as may be needed.3. Haven’t noticed this as much lately, but sometimes when i work (warehouse) i get a sort of burning feeling in my chest/lung area? Hard to explain the sensation but thats the best i can do really.> Burning in heart and chest can be due to the inflamed airways- which in your case are due to respiratory inflammation as well due to the smoking.4. Have been very wheezy lately, and whenever i cough i can hear the phlegm. wondering if thats because of the cold or smoking (probably had to tell considering i have both right now)> This is because of both, each addiing t the other- here again a necessity that the auscultation is needed for clinical evaluation and pulmonary function tests, X-ray of the chest and tests of blood and urine.5. I go to the gym very regularly, and seem to lose my breath a lot faster than i would 2 years ago.> the reasons are similar as explained above.6. Occassionally get them dark particles in my spit/phlegm. Haven’t seen much recently though.> Such particles can be soot of the smoke you take in.I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.