Cold? Flu? sinus infection? Gym bug?

Q: Hi,
About 2 weeks ago I started getting what I thought to be a sinus infection. After three days it went away and I went back to the gym. That night after the gym I woke up and started throwing up with a 102.4 temperature and having severe diarrhea. These symptoms lasted about 24-36 hours and then went away. About two days later I got a high fever again of about 102 degrees. This time I had a cough and really bad nasal and sinus problems. I also completely lost my appetite. I am going on the second day now of this third episode. I have lost about seven pounds since it all started less than 2 weeks ago. I am 19 years old and weight 208 pounds. Thanks for your help.

Symptoms:  Coughing, fever, diarrhea, sinus congestion, runny nose, lose of appetite, upset stomach, vomiting

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

You seem to be suffering from Upper Respiratory tract infection (URTI).

If you have severe coughing with sputum production, get a Chest Xray Done to rule out Pneumonia.
In case, there is H1N1 (Swine flu) infection prevalent in your area, you should also get tested for that because you have got high-grade fever.
For URTI, I advise as follows:
1. To take an antibiotic like Azithromycin.
2. To take an anti-allergic like Levocetirizine
3. To do warm saline gargles.
4. To do steam inhalation
5. To take Paracetamol on as or when required basis for fever and body pains.
Share my opinion with your Doctor before you act upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy