Cold medicine with cephalexin

Patient

Q: I am currently taking cephalexin for an ingrown infected toenail and I recently got a cold, so I was wondering if I could take medicine like robitussin even though I'm taking cephalexin for a different thing or if I can't take cold medicine

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Cephalexin is an antibiotic used to treat various types of bacterial infections, even upper respiratory tract infection. Robitussin is a popular brand name cold symptom relief medication. There are no adverse interactions of taking these two medications together. You need not be concerned about treating your cold symptoms while on cephalexin.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com