Cold problem

Patient

Q: My flatmate has spent the past fortnight in intensive care on a ventilator because he had a lung infection which prevented his lungs from working efficiantly enough to supply oxygen to his blood.

I stopped visiting him 4 days ago due to the fact I felt an oncoming cold. I have used Vicks first defence and have stayed home since then which seems to have worked - I no longer feel I have any cold symptons.

How long should I leave it before I visit him? He has been taken off the ventilator, though he is still using a face mask and is still having some support with breathing. He does not want to see any of his other freinds at the moment. Obviously, I don't want to risk anything so I need to be certain that I am not contagious.

I feel that some support from myself may help his recovery, but I am scared that I may pass on the cold which would be extremely serious to him.

Doctor