Cold sore oral sex

Patient

Q: If a girl has a cold sore, and gives you oral can you get it on your penis or in your genital area, and can her herpes type one progress to be worse than before

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about Cold sores and transmission through oral sex. Cold sores, sometimes called feverblisters, are groups of small blisters on the lip and around the mouth. The skin around the blisters is often red, swollen, and sore. The blisters may break open, leak a clear fluid, and then scab over after a few days. They usually heal after several days to 2 weeks. They are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). There are two types of herpes simplex virus: HSV-1 and HSV-2. Both virus types can cause lip and mouth sores and genital herpes.Certainly cold sores produced by Herpes Virus type 1 can be transmitted to the genital area by Oral sex, especially if there is presence of active lesions and even more if some of the lesions pop and the fluid inside them have contact with the bare skin. The severity would depend on the virulence and how your body would react to the infection. I would suggest you to use barrier methods such as condoms and also your partner might want to use Acyclovir to accelerate the process.