x
76 Physicians Online

Question:

Cold with Bloody Nose

I have a cold with severe head pressure. sometimes when I blow my nose it is bloody is that normal or not good just switched insurance not sure when it takes affect

Answer:

A bleeding nose during an upper respiratory infection is common.  I would only see a doctor if the bleeding nose continues for more that 15 minutes.  If it is occurring only when forcefully blowing your nose, it is not of concern unless it continues well past the resolution of your cold.
As you recover, the use of a saline myst or nasal spray may help with your symptoms.  The head pressure you describe is common in sinus infections and a nasal spray would be beneficial for that as well.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.