Cold with Bloody Nose

Patient: I have a cold with severe head pressure. sometimes when I blow my nose it is bloody is that normal or not good just switched insurance not sure when it takes affect

Doctor: A bleeding nose during an upper respiratory infection is common.  I would only see a doctor if the bleeding nose continu ues for more that 15 minutes.  If it is occurring only when forcefully blowing your nose, it is not of concern unless it continues well past the resolution of your cold.As you recover, the use of a saline myst or nasal spray may help with your symptoms.  The head pressure you describe is common in sinus infections and a nasal spray would be beneficial for that as well.

Doctor: Thank you for the follow-up question.
When you have a bloody nose with a cold, you are dehydrated. The dehydration is causing the dryness of the nasal mucosa. This will cause it to start bleeding at even small amount of picking of the nose.
Here are the OTC medications and home remedies you can do:
Drink lots of water
Inhale steam with some Vicks
Take tablet Levocet once a day
If you have fever, take Paracetamol 2 times a day
This should help with the cold and also the bloody nose. If the bleeding does not stop, please see a Doctor as soon as possible.
All the best. Have a speedy recovery.