Colds During Pregnancy

Patient: I am 35 weeks pregnant today and have come down with serious chest congestion. I am spitting up yellow mucus. Is there anything on the market that would be safe to take?

Symptoms: Coughing, itchy throat

Doctor: HelloThanks for the queryPregnancy of 35 weeks with congestion and yellow sputum on coughing may be infective cough in nature. Kindly see a gynecologist rather than taking over the counter therapy. Infection has to be treated after an examination and with antibiotics specific to the cause. Since it is pregnancy-associated we must be double careful.There are chances of going into preterm labor if, not treated soon.Hence please see a doctor earliest. Warm saline gargles, steam inhalation, and expectorant cough syrups will help. But use them until you see the doctor for a correct therapy with antibioticsHope this helpedRegards