Colonic Irrigation side effects

Patient

Q: Hello, I am planning on having a one time colonic irrigation procedure in a week's time. However, I have begun to hear some negative side effects associated with the procedure. Is it safe and would you recommend it to clean out my system. Than you.

Doctor

A:   There is little research to support or refute the benefits of colon cleansing, it's generally unnecessary and at times may even be harmful. Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend it for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: The digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria, your body doesn't really need enemas or special diets or pills to do this.
In my opinion there is a concern for certain laxatives used in colon cleansing, such as those with sodium phosphate, can cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease. If you are planning to do this treatment, I will suggest you first to consult your primary care physician for a more detailed evaluation.