Colonic Irrigation side effects

Patient: Hello, I am planning on having a one time colonic irrigation procedure in a week’s time. However, I have begun to hear some negative side effects associated with the procedure. Is it safe and would you recommend it to clean out my system. Than you.

Doctor: There is little research to support or refute the benefits of colon cleansing, it’s generally unnecessary and at times m ay even be harmful. Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don’t recommend it for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: The digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria, your body doesn’t really need enemas or special diets or pills to do this.In my opinion there is a concern for certain laxatives used in colon cleansing, such as those with sodium phosphate, can cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease. If you are planning to do this treatment, I will suggest you first to consult your primary care physician for a more detailed evaluation.