Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Colonless anal sex?

Colonless anal sex?

Patient: I had my colon removed over a year ago now. I had a j-pouch attached in December. My question is can I still have anal sex?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It depends on where your colon was reattached to your rectum. This is called a colorectal anastomosis. If this anastomosis was made in the upper portion of the rectum, then it may not be affected by anal intercourse. However, if this anastomosis is in the lower portion of the rectum, then this may be affected by anal intercourse. We recommend that you speak to your surgeon about the specifics of your surgery and whether if this would be ok. Your surgeon will best be able to advise you on this further.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com