COLOSTOMY BAG LEAKS

Patient

Q: MY QUESTION IS FOR MY FATHER. HOW DO YOU KEEP A COLOSTOMY BAG FROM LEAKING? WE HAVE TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT BAGS AND RING, BUT WE STILL GET LEAKS.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. If your father's colostomy bag continues to leak despite all the adjustments you have tried to make at home, it may be time to have this reevaluated by his surgeon. The leak may not be occurring at the connection of the bag and the ostomy, but at the level of the ostomy itself. This can result in leakage despite whatever bag is used. It can also potentially create a nidus for infection. We recommend that he follow up with is surgeon to have his colostomy carefully examined. In some cases, surgical revision of the colostomy may be indicated. Please be advised accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com