Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Combining Creatine with other supplements and vitamins

Combining Creatine with other supplements and vitamins

Patient: I am taking the creatine supplement Jack3d. I was wanting to know if that will pose a problem with the other vitamins and supplements that I am taking as well, I currently take B12, Niacin, Folic Acid, and Ginkgo Biloba. I also take Glutamine but only on my workout days to reduce soreness. Will this pose a medical problem?

Doctor: Creatine has been used mainly for improving exercise performance and increasing muscle strength. It has also been used for muscle disorders (e.g., McArdle’s disease), Parkinson’s disease, and heart failure. Using this product without proper medical care for conditions such as heart failure may cause or worsen serious health problems. Creatine is the same as a substance made by your body that is found mostly in the muscles. It helps to provide energy to the muscles. The FDA has not reviewed this product for safety or effectiveness. Side effects include: Nausea, upset stomach, or diarrhea. Severe allergic reaction to this product is rare.  Creatine may interfere with certain laboratory tests (including kidney function tests), possibly causing false test results. There is no documented interaction between the use of vitamins as you mentioned in your question and taking Creatine supplements in the revised medical literature.

Guest: Hello,
I just started taking purple K today, but I am also on a natural gainer and whey protein, I asked a similar question and will let you know if I get a constructive response. My main concern was the magnesium stearate included in the creatine, it is not a listed ingredient in the gainer and protein I take. Cheers