Combining klonopin and alcohol

Patient

Q: Will taking 3 mg of klonopin and drinking 3 beers cause liver damage?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is recommend that one should wait at least 24 hours to consume any amount of alcohol after ingesting clonazepam (klonopin). Taking clonazepam with alcohol can produce side effects of side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, problems with coordination, and memory problems. Drinking alcohol with clonazepam may not cause liver damage in a single time, but if this is repeated over time, the liver can indeed become damaged.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com