Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Common Causes of Low Sexual Desire and Erection Problems

Common Causes of Low Sexual Desire and Erection Problems

Patient: I have erection problem as well as sexual less emotion as i masturbated per day five times for ten years and now i am maried and have two child but my penis some times dosnt erect i face this probelm for many years and want to know what medicin i should take or what test should. thanks

Doctor: Erection problems may cause significant emotional disturbance. Erection is a complex combination of psychologic, neurolo gic, hemodynamic, mechanical and hormonal components. Psychologic erectile dysfunction may start suddenly, varies with partner and circumstance, more common in younger men and may have presence of morning erection. Depression and anxiety problems may also manifest as erectile problems. Neurologic (brain and spinal cord) causes may also manifest with erectile problems but usually occurs together with problems in urination and defecation. Conditions that clog the blood vessels (diabetes) may result to this problem as well. An example of a mechanical cause would be Peyronie’s disease. In this disease, there is a tissue thickening inside the penile shaft and erection problems may follow. Hormonal problems (thyroid hormones and low testosterone) may result to low libido (sexual desire) and erection problems. Various blood test, procedures and mere physical exam by a doctor will help establish the cause of your distressing problem. I would advise for you to see a doctor first so you can be completely evaluated and the root cause will be addressed to accordingly. There are several erectile dysfunction drugs but it is better for you to see a doctor because there are a few conditions wherein these drugs should not be given. I do hope this helps and I wish you all the best.