Common Side Effect of Prednisone

Q: I am a chronic asthmatic and currently taking predisone and antibiotics. My mother in law has to come home from the hospital with MRSA and in med treatment of a 10 day treatment plan. I have been told it may take as long as 4-5 weeks before the swab is negative 3 times. Am I at high risk of contracting this bacteria what might it do to me if I bring her home??? or should I send her to a nursing home which she hates and does not want to go to?

A:   Usually, high doses of Prednisone and its chronic use can somewhat depress the immune system. If you have been taking Prednisone for only a short period of time, there is little need to worry. You are also taking antibiotics so there is a much less chance for you to contract the infection from her. However, you may ask your mother in law to wear a mask for the meantime until all swabs turn out negative. Try explaining to her that it will be hard for you to take care of her if you will also get sick. Also, while she is with you, be vigilant with your asthma puffers so that your asthma will be in control. To be sure, ask your doctor if the Prednisone dose you are currently taking can significantly cause suppression of the immune system. I do hope this helps. Take care.