Common wart

Patient

Q: Can a common wart on my finger be transferred to my genitals through contact? i have a wart on my finger and am worried it can turn into genital warts. please help me! im having a freak out

Doctor

A:   I understand how concerned you are about this matter. Let me reassure that the type of wart that you have in your finger is a totally different subtype of the virus that causes Genital Warts which is the HPV.You wont spread this wart to your genital area but you could spread it to other areas of your body generally hands and feet, especially if you scratch your skin and then touch it with after having contact with your wart. Once again, the only way to develop genital warts is by having sexual encounter with someone who has them. I hope I cleared your doubt.