Competitive Swimmer And Knee Swelling

Patient

Q: I am a competitive swimmer, so I am very dependent on my legs to give me extra power when I swim. But recently, I took part in a running marathon that consisted of going uphill and downhill. At the end of the 18.26 minute max effort and timed run, I realized my pains in my knee. I felt sharp pains and often numbness. Also, I realized that there was swelling at the back of my knee. I don't know what I should do. This knee pain is effecting the way I swim, especially when I do Breaststroke kick because it hurts.

Doctor

A:   Knee swelling and pain is very common in runners and swimmers. It may be due to an injury, or overuse of the joint or a Baker’s cyst which is a small lump or swelling behind the knee. For mild swelling or pain, you may opt for over the counter anti inflammatory medicines or pain killers. You can apply ice packs or hot packs, ointments, balms, etc. which can help reduce the pain and swelling behind knee. You should also provide sufficient rest to the joint and avoid rigorous physical activities which might lead to increased pressure on knees. If it is the Baker’s cyst, it may heal on its own and no special treatment is required. You may slowly resume your sports once the swelling and pain have subsided.

Knee swelling and pain is very common in runners. It may be due to an injury, or overuse of the joint or a Baker’s cyst which is a small lump or swelling behind the knee. For mild swelling or pain, you may opt for over the counter anti inflammatory medicines or pain killers. You can apply ice packs or hot packs, ointments, balms, etc. which can help reduce the pain and swelling behind knee. You should also provide sufficient rest to the joint and avoid rigorous physical activities which might lead to increased pressure on knees. If it is the Baker’s cyst, it may heal on its own and no special treatment is required.