Complex Migraines?

Patient

Q: My migraines have been starting out as extremely blurry vision, almost can't see at all, after that starts to clear up I get really horrible pain in the back of my head that radiates to the front along with photophobia. It is pretty frighting, at first I feel like I'm having a stroke, not that I ever had one, but it seems like it would be something like that. I'm 29 year old and have been diagnosed with POTS. The hospital did a CAT scan and nothing unusual was found. They said it was a complex migraine but I can't find any info on that. Any help on what kind of migraine it is would help, and any treatment options. Thanks so much, Yuliya

Doctor

A:    A complex migraine is a type of headache, severe, often disabling that besides the pain may include the following symptoms: weakness, blurry, double or loss of vision and even difficulty speaking, looking similar to a Stroke. The most common triggering causes are: stress, depression, certain medications or foods (MSG, chocolate, wine, cheeses), hormonal disorders, lack of sleep, changes in the blood flow pattern of the brain. If the migraine is beginning can be treated with NSAIDs (“Aleve”,”Motrin”), there are also prescription medicines that may be used to treat the attacks and as preventive. Above all you can do the following to avoid Complex Migraines: try not to eat foods with MSG, cheeses (especially aged), wine and chocolate; try to have frequent breaks at work, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, do not skip meals, get a good night sleep, drink enough water during the day so you keep hydrated, exercise regular and consistently.