Complications after c5 c6 fusion surgery

Q: Has there been a study linking cadaver bone transplant to body rejection with vertebrae fusion?

Symptoms:  Neck and shoulder pain, headaches, cold sweats, numbness in left arm - post op

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. In an effort to minimize the problems associated with taking the patient's own bone, a number of other fusion techniques have been developed that use biological products as bone graft extenders or as bone graft replacements. One common source of bone graft replacement or extender is the use of allograft bone. An allograft bone graft is bone harvested from cadavers or deceased individuals who have donated their bone for use in the treatment of living patients. This is commonly used in many forms for spinal fusions ranging from cervical interbody fusions to lumbar interbody fusions and can provide excellent structural support.

The disadvantage of allograft structural bone is that it does not promote bone growth very well and, therefore, is very weak at stimulating a spinal fusion. Although it is used successfully for short-level fusions in the cervical spine, it is not a powerful enough biological stimulant to allow us to successfully use this to achieve a spinal fusion in the thoracic or lumbar spine. Studies have shown that when using allograft bone as the only graft material, the fusion rates in the thoracic and lumbar spine are extremely poor and the failure rate is very high.
Hope your query got answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.