Concentrated pain at base of only one finger

Patient

Q: I am having extreme pain in the joint of my left hand ring finger. It began yesterday evening, and the sharp shooting, stabbing, burning like pain happens whenever I move the finger, i.e. make a fist, make any motion with any of my fingers including buttoning my shirt, etc. almost like a broken blood vessel. I have placed ice on it for 20 minute increments, but there is no real relief.

I normally have a high tolerance for pain but this is unlike anything I have ever experienced. I havent lifted anything or bruised it in anyway. There is no swelling bruising or any visible differences with this finger and the others and the pain is concentrated at just the base of that finger. Any ideas or suggestions?

Doctor