Concern about excess daily water intake.

Patient

Q: Hi, I've been worrying that I've been drinking too much water on a consistent basis nowadays. I drink probably upwards of 25 glasses of water per day, but that's a really rough estimate. Thing is, I feel a need to drink this much water, often I want to drink even more than I do. I feel like my body really needs it, but then I worry that I shouldn't be needing this much, and I know that it is possible to flood your brain with too much water. I know electrolytes counteract water, but please clarify to what extent this is, and what source I should be getting electrolytes from. Thank you very much if you should answer this :)

Doctor

A:   I realize how worried you are about a probable excess in water intake. The normal requirements for daily water intake are 1.5 liters per day, drinking more than that would only cause your body to get rid of it mainly by urinating and secondly by your feces, perspiration and sweat.
You should not worry too much about this, but I would suggest you to inform your primary care physician about this in your next visit so he or she can perform a more detailed study and possible screening for Diabetes which is commonly associated with increased thirst, urination and hunger, especially if there is a family history of diabetes. I wish you the best.