Concern with side-effects of artificial sweetener

Patient

Q: Is there anything bad in Sainsbury's SlendaSweet? i support someone with a learning disability and she has become very upset and worried that this is bad for her health. I feel it would be very useful for her to hear from a doctor about her concerns. Many Thanks

Doctor

A:   Sainsbury's SlendaSweet contains aspartame which is a low-calorie, intense artificial sweetener. Aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sugar, and it contains only 4 calories per gram. While the use of aspartame does have some benefits, there is controversy over the safety and possible side effects. If taken within the acceptable daily intake (ADI),  artificial sweeteners like aspartame are generally safe. But if a person is trying to loose weight this should not replace healthy living, exercise and proper diet.