Ask The Doctor > Pending > Concerned about inheriting Parkinson’s Disease

Concerned about inheriting Parkinson’s Disease

Patient: I’m a 30 year old male. My father has had Parkinson’s Disease since he was in his mid 40’s. I often (very often) worry that I will inherit the disease. I constantly worry because I have read often that I have a 50% chance of inheriting the disease. My father also had a history of doing cocaine from time to time and unfortunately, as have I. I worry that I have mirrored some patterns of my father and therefor have greatly increased my risk, especially since there could be a 50% chance of inheriting it. I have since quit doing drugs and have made an effort to live and eat more healthy. I often convince myself that I am experiencing symptoms, when in reality they very well could be nothing. I pick my fingernails on my left hand quite low, so sometimes I’m convinced I feel a slight pins and needles feeling, but this is not constantly and could be due to my nails. I often have bouts of anxiety, especially when trying to sleep some nights. I understand this is quite frequent in many people and may not be related, but I often fear it is. I am not experiencing any tremors or anything such as that. Can anyone shed some light on my concerns and my chances of inheriting it based on mine and my father’s history? Often reading things on the internet lead to overthinking and false impressions. Thanks a lot!

Doctor: