Concerned About Possible Alcohol Poisoning

Patient

Q: Hi, my friend has drank an extremely large amount roughly 24hours ago and is suffering symtoms of panic attacks, fever and vomiting, all of which are unusual for him. i just wanted to know what the risks are and if i shoud take him to hospital to get it checked out? im worrying about alcohol poisoning

Doctor

A:   Extreme amounts of alcohol intake in a relatively short period of time can lead to alcohol intoxication or poisoning, and later on, when the symptoms of the intoxication have subsided, symptoms of withdrawal like anxiety, depression, emotional changes, headache, sweating, nausea and vomiting and tremor of the hands may occur.
In severe cases withdrawal may also cause convulsions, delirium tremens (a state of confusion and hallucinations), agitation and fever. You should probably take your friend to the hospital for early management of his symptoms due to alcohol poisoning.

Extreme amounts of alcohol intake in a relatively short period of time can lead to alcohol intoxication or poisoning, and later on, when the symptoms of the intoxication have subsided, symptoms of withdrawal like anxiety, depression, emotional changes, headache, sweating, nausea and vomiting and tremor of the hands may occur.