Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Concerned about Type I Diabetes Mellitus

Concerned about Type I Diabetes Mellitus

Patient: What are some symptoms of type 1 diabetes? I have recently became a lot more thirsty, and I have been using the bathroom a lot more throughout the day. I also am always tired, I slept one day for 14hrs straight.

Doctor: Type 1 diabetes, an auto-immune disease, results from the body’s failure to produce the hormone insulin, and requires th he person to inject insulin. Symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes are :Increased thirst and frequent urinationExtreme hungerWeight loss despite eating morePronounced fatigueBlurred VisionDecreased mental sharpnessIf any or all of these symptoms develop, it is a good idea to see your doctor who may carry out a simple test to check your blood sugar level and aid further diagnosis.