Concerned for a friend (depression)

Q: Hi there,

I wondered if you could help me.

A friend of mine suffers with depression and has done for years (we're both 21).She has been on and off medication since she was 16 but rarely seemed able to stick to it (although she has been pretty good for the last year). Anyway shes always been the same since i've known her but I am concerned.

She has moods where she is really energetic and it reminds me of a kid with ADHD that is on a high, however when shes in that kind of mood shes.... well almost dangerous (to herself). The other day I found out that she had slept with some random guy (out of character) and was really down other it. When I asked her why all I got was "I dunno I've been feeling really shit lately and I was in a really good mood for a few hours".

Is the normal with depression?