Concerns about Missed Periods

Patient: No period for 3 months 2 hpts say neg on 4th month brown spotting never missed period before in my life and never late at all. what could be wrong?

Doctor: I realize your concern about you missed periods, however let me reassure you that most irregular periods are benign. Mis sed periods, too frequent periods, spotting, or bouts of heavy clotting and bleeding are usually caused by an underlying hormonal imbalance that is easily treated.The most common cause of a missed period we see is anovulation, or a cycle in which a woman does not ovulate (i.e., does not release an egg). This is frequently the cause of a missed period (an anovulatory cycle) and is considered normal if it occurs only once or twice a year.On the other hand, sporadic episodes of poor diet, high stress, emotional trauma, illness, or strenuous physical exercise are the usual suspects behind occasional anovulatory cycles. I would suggest you to consult a gynecologist for a more detailed history and evaluation of your hormone levels to rule out the exact cause of your missed periods and prescribe the treatment. I wish you the best.