Concerns with IUD --> bleeding and stomach pains

Q: Hi. I am 24 years old, and I have some concerns about my IUD. I had it inserted almost a year ago now. Last week I had severe pains in my stomach, where I was doubled over in pain and could not move. It also hurt to touch my lower stomach in some areas. The pains started right after having sex with my boyfriend. I never had cramps growing up and was curious that maybe that was the pain that I was feeling. I've barely had a period for the past year and every now and then I would spot, but these past few days I have been almost bleeding like a normal period, but the blood is not red like it should be but a darker red almost brown colour. I have read some articles on IUDs and obviously they have made me become paranoid that I have ripped my IUD or it has grown into the wall of my uterus. I would like to know if there is a chance it has ripped out, or if there would be very obvious signs that there is something wrong. Also, I am on a 5-week exchange and am wondering if I am in any danger right now or can I wait until I am home?

Thank you.

Symptoms:  Bleeding, pains in stomach and sensitive to touch.