Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Condom accident and worried about pregnancy

Condom accident and worried about pregnancy

Patient: About four weeks ago, my boyfriend and I had a condom accident. It didn’t break, but I thought I could see it coming out of the top of the condom. Last week, I did have a full, normal period. This week, however, I’ve been feeling sick. People at work think it’s morning sickness. I think I might just be worrying myself sick over this, because when I’m not thinking “Am I pregnant?”, the symptoms go away. Could I really be pregnant, even though the condom didn’t really break and I had a normal period last week?

Symptoms: Vomiting, nausea, migraines, diarrhea.

Doctor: Condom accidents are common. Whenever in doubt it is safer to use an emergency contraceptive or morning after pill. Thes e pills can be used with effect upto 72 hours after the intercourse and are fairly reliable in preventing an unwanted pregnancy.After having a period it is highly unlikely that you could be pregnant. However the best way to end this confusion and stress is to do a home pregnancy test. You can follow the instructions on the pack and get tested yourself without any hassles.I strongly urge you to visit a family planning clinic or a contraception counselor and discuss the benefits and use of emergency contraceptive or morning after pills. Armed with the proper knowledge, I am sure you will be able to avoid anxious moments in the future.