Condom accident and worried about pregnancy

Q: About four weeks ago, my boyfriend and I had a condom accident. It didn't break, but I thought I could see it coming out of the top of the condom. Last week, I did have a full, normal period. This week, however, I've been feeling sick. People at work think it's morning sickness. I think I might just be worrying myself sick over this, because when I'm not thinking "Am I pregnant?", the symptoms go away. Could I really be pregnant, even though the condom didn't really break and I had a normal period last week?

Symptoms:  Vomiting, nausea, migraines, diarrhea.

A:   Condom accidents are common. Whenever in doubt it is safer to use an emergency contraceptive or morning after pill. These pills can be used with effect upto 72 hours after the intercourse and are fairly reliable in preventing an unwanted pregnancy.
After having a period it is highly unlikely that you could be pregnant. However the best way to end this confusion and stress is to do a home pregnancy test. You can follow the instructions on the pack and get tested yourself without any hassles.
I strongly urge you to visit a family planning clinic or a contraception counselor and discuss the benefits and use of emergency contraceptive or morning after pills. Armed with the proper knowledge, I am sure you will be able to avoid anxious moments in the future.