Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Confused teen.. Pregnant???

Confused teen.. Pregnant???

Patient: Finished my first pack of birth control that says it was effective after first 7 days. Boyfriend and I had sex without condom for 10 seconds max.. Around the 12 day mark.. June 3rd Never ejaculated inside of me. Had sex the next two times with a condom an he never ejaculated inside of me either.. I’ve missed my period it’s approaching two weeks now and I’ve taken 4 pregnancy tests all after my missed period including one yesterday morning. Could I be missing my period because of birth control and is there any way I could still be pregnant..

Symptoms: Nausea, anxiety, fatigue, stress, fullness feeling in lower abdomen, pretty normal discharge

Doctor: It is unlikely you could be pregnant if your pregnancy tests are all negative and you have been regular on birth contro l. The effectiveness of birth control pills is strongly affected by how consistently they are taken. The effectiveness of certain type of birth control pills can be altered by taking them late or by not taking them at the same time each day. If you have taken the pills on time daily and not missed any pills, the chances of the pill failing are less than 1 in 1000.When taking birth control pills, it is common to miss a period every once in a while, or have a period that is very light. You have done the right thing by taking a home pregnancy test. You can now restart a new pack as earlier. If the interval between the last pill of the first pack and the first pill of the new pack is longer than a week, you might not be adequately protected in the first 7 days of the new pack. In that case, it is better to use an additional method of contraception such as condoms for the first 7 days. If you still feel stressed about the possibility of a pregnancy, just visit a doctor with a request for a blood hCG test. Do not worry, you should be fine soon.