Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Confusing ultrasound

Confusing ultrasound

Patient: I just went for a ultrasound to see if I am pregnant. I looked at the screen and saw what seemed to be a red “blob” in one of the images. What could that be?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.It is difficult to tell the ultrasound diagnosis by descripti on.The possibilities are gestational sac in uterus or cyst in ovary, distended bladder etc.To confirm pregnancy, go for urine pregnancy test once.If test gives positive result, there is possibility that the blob you mentioned could be a gestational sac.Please consult your doctor and discuss regarding ultrasound report, possibly she can clarify regarding the image.Take care.