Congenital Talipes (Club foot) - Is there a cure?

Patient

Q: Is it possible to completely treat talipes on a leg?

Doctor

A:   Congenital talipes equinovarus or clubfoot is a congenital deformity in which the foot is turned inwards. It may affect one or both feet. The cause of the disorder is not known but may have some hereditary link.
The treatment of clubfoot depends on the severity of the the deformity and the age. The initial treatment involves correcting the position of the foot by using a cast. Gentle stretching and casting is continues for a couple of weeks. After the foot is aligned, the child is then put on a foot brace for 3-4 years.
Severe cases of clubfoot may require surgery. This includes releasing the tension of the the tendons of the foot or osteotomy (removing part of the bone) and fusion of the bones or joint.