Conservation Management of Meniscus Tear

Patient

Q: Hi Doc, I have a meniscus tear and will Have surgery on it early next year. It hurts all the time, I'm 33 years old and am on my feet 60% of the day. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain in the mean time? I start limping halfway through the day. Like any type of exercises thanks for your response! damone

Doctor

A:   Conservative management for a meniscal tear consists of :
i) Rest, using crutches if necessary, ice pack for pain relief and compression with a simple elastic bandage to control the swelling. Elevation of the limb also helps to minimize the swelling.
ii) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen, acetaminophen and oxycodone will help to relieve the pain.
iii) Avoiding standing for long periods of time and pivoting motions may be helpful while you wait for surgery.