x
153 Physicians Online

Question:

Constant discharge after surgery of pilonidal cyst

I had a Pilonidal cyst removed july14and on july 27 my mom removed the stitches because my appointment wasn't till aug10 and then it started to ooze and i went to the office he slapped a gauge pad on it and said its going to do that for at least 2 weeks and all i do now is change pads and aspirin is this normal

Answer:

Without a physical examination, it is difficult to tell if you are healing as you should. A constant discharge of fluid from the operation site could suggest that there is an infection. This can only be treated by frequent dressing changes and appropriate antibiotics. There is also the possibility that a portion of the cyst was left behind . This would explain the constant drainage from the wound. You should be sure to inform your doctor of your current symptoms so that he/she may address them accordingly.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.