Constant dull back pain going down to the left leg

Q: I am constantly having back pain with which i have pains going down my left leg.

A:    Sometimes the lower back pain may get complicated with a sciatic nerve inflamation. There are many causes of sciatic nerve inflammation: blunt injury, compression by the surrounding muscles, intervertebral disk degeneration or lumbar disk disease, all of them can produce pain along the sciatic nerve. The conventional treatment for Sciatica is aimed to relieve the pain and besides the use of anti-inflammatory medication (as “Motrin”, “Aleve”) and vitamin B complex, a physical therapy program can benefit you, with stretching of the hip muscles and local heat or ultrasound application. It is very important also avoid activities that place stress on the lumbar spine. Sometimes the pain and discomfort can persist for several weeks before to improve. The local corticosteroid injection may be considered if you show limited response to oral medication and physical therapy.