x
175 Physicians Online

Question:

Constant Gas and Incomplete Bowel Movements

For the past 2 weeks I have been having a constant flow of gas. I really notice it most when I sit down. It feels like air bubbles coming out. There is no sound and no smell. I have no pain. I seem to be having incomplete bowel movements about 4 to 5 times a day. I always seem to feel like there is more but it won't come out. My stool also seems sticky. I have had no major changes in diet other than cutting out fast food and junk food. I eat fruits and vegetables. I drink 12 or more glasses of water a day. No soda, coffee or alcohol. This problem is driving me nuts. I feel really uncomfortable. I feel like I am soiling myself sometimes, but nothing is there. I have tried everything I can think of to help my problem and nothing has worked. I have never had this problem before. It is really causing me anxiety and I am worried. I don't have health insurance and don't want to pay a huge amount of money to go to a doctor unless I have to. Any help you can give me is much appreciated. I can't find any information anywhere for my exact problem. Please Help! Thanks!

Answer:

I understand you worry and your concern.Your symptoms could indicate Inflamatory bowel disesase, a parasitic infection or even Irritable bowel syndrome. Irritable bowel syndrome is characterised by incomplete and unsatisfactory bowel movements, change in stool pattern. However this is a diagnosis of exclusiona and thus other conditions need to be ruled out. In order to do this you will  have to get your stool tested so that we can get an idea of whats going on. In the mean time please continue eating more fibre and fresh fruits and vegetables which will help decrease the stools and make them more formed.You will however need to see a doctor for a complete examination and odering of tests.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA