Constant knee pain that has lasted for 6 years

Q: I locked out and bent my knee backwards pretty far and it swelled up for a couple days when in high school playing football. I went to hospital on base and they did an x ray. .and then sent me to pt for 3 weeks then that was it. It didn't help any now 6 years later I've been dealing with the pain and it was bearable. about 7 months ago on a run it locked up on me again and went backwards. now my pain has gotten worse and worse. the docs here did an mri and xray and didn't see anything. and now there saying its in my head. now another doc said my doc said it was just tendonitis. but I couldn't believe id have that for 6 years. so now I don't know what to do with my knee.

Symptoms:  Clicking when trying to run, cracking and popping with simple leg movement, random stabbing feeling on right side of knee, feels loose like its not held together or empty. is achy all day, have been times ive cried or almost cried, cant stand or sit long or it starts hurting more. also 1 year after I first hurt knee went on trip to D.C. and after visting monuments and stuff and walking all day inside and back of knee swelled up