Constant Lower Back Pain

Patient

Q: I'm 14 years old and my lower back on the right side has been in constant pain for about 3 weeks. What can I do to fix it?

Symptoms:  Limping
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you lower back pain may be due to a muscle strain on the right side of your lower back. Given the fact that this has been present for three weeks, you need to immediately be assessed by a doctor. We are not sure if this back pain could be involving your spine or nerve branches of your spine on the right side. You will need to have a full examination and x rays of your back performed to better evaluate this. Please refrain from heavy lifting, and strenuous activity in an effort to prevent exacerbation of this pain. Please see your doctor immediately.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com