Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Constant lower back pain  after picked up heavy weight.

Constant lower back pain  after picked up heavy weight.

Patient: 21 y/o female, went to pick up a 60 pound box, lower back sent a shooting pain, no referring pain. I have been having intense very low back pain, hurts especially when I bend over or sit in a chair, the only relief I get is when I lay on my stomach in bed. I’ve been taking 800mg of ibuprofen routinely and have also been using muscle rub, heating pads, and ice packs and haven’t gotten any relief.

Symptoms: Lower back pain, no referring pain, shooting when bending or sitting at 90 degree angle, aching at all other times, relief when lying in prone position.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Based on the analysis of your description it is possible that you could have sustained a se vere strain of your lower back. Such strains can leave the muscles of the lower back very tender and painful. It is also possible that you could have herniated an intervertebral disc. This this would present with more severe pain which does not resolve with analgesic medication. It is very important that you have your back examined by a doctor in person as well as have an x ray of your lumbar spin to assess the severity of this injury. In the meantime, you may continue your current treatment, and try to avoid heavy lifting and excessive strenuous activity. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com